Research Resources Overview
The North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition (NASPGHAN) and the NASPGHAN Foundation are dedicated to:
• Advancing medical knowledge and technology
• Caring for patients with digestive disorders
• Educating physicians and the public
• Supporting affected children and their families
While broad in nature, these activities are integrally linked and rely on research for their advancement. In this context, NASPGHAN and the NASPGHAN Foundation have been sources of research support and leading partners with government, industry, and relevant agencies to help fund research initiatives.
There have been numerous scientific advancements in the field of medicine, namely from molecular, clinical, and health economic perspectives. We now have a greater understanding of the molecular and genetic mechanisms of health and disease. In addition, there has been a growing emphasis on translating scientific discoveries to patient care, quality improvement, and improved use of healthcare resources.
In order to convey these needs, NASPGHAN has organized a Pediatric Gastroenterology Research Agenda that contains six key clinical categories for consideration:
• Inflammatory Bowel Disease
• Functional and Motility Disorders
• Liver Disorders
• Pancreatic Disorders
• Allergy, Intestinal Failure, and Infection
• Nutritional Disorders